Skip to main content

Writing a Paragraph

If you're reading this posting, it must mean that you're ready to expand on your writing.

As review, a simple sentence in English has at least a subject and verb. An object is not always needed, but is usually present (please review the posting regarding 'Introduction to Writing').

A simple paragraph usually has 5-7 sentences. This is an understood general rule, but the rule is not the type found in a book, or agreed upon by people. When writing a paragraph, understand that there is a topic sentence (main idea), supporting sentences (Sentences supporting the main idea), and a conclusion sentence (A sentence that usually shows how a problem is fixed or what was learned).

To write a paragraph, you need to realize what it is that you're going to write about.
  • Are you going to write about yourself? 
  • Are you going to write your favorite sport?
  • Are you going to write about your favorite movie?
  • Are you going to write about different restaurants.
There are many possibilities.

IDEAS

Once you figure out what it is you're going to write about, begin writing ideas associated with the topic.

Lets's take the idea of writing about yourself [Let's assume you, the reader, is a university student].

You begin writing ideas connected with being a university student:

  • Taking classes from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
  • Exercise for 1-2 hours (depending on the schedule)
  • Drive to and from school
  • Study and perform labs for classes

TOPIC SENTENCE [The main idea]

After coming up with a few ideas, it is time to come up with a a main idea. This main idea will be used as the basis of your topic sentence. In this case, look at all the activities this university student does. The main idea that one could come up is that the student is busy. Here are a couple of examples of a topic sentence:
  • "Ever since I started university, I haven't had time to myself."
  •  "I had no idea that attending university would mean sacrificing time."
  • "Since I started university last month, I haven't spent time with family or friends."
Feel free to create your own topic sentences.

SUPPORTING SENTENCES

Supporting sentences support the main idea. We've previously written a few ideas [Highlighted in green], and now can use them as the basis of supporting sentences. Here are some examples:
  • "I start classes at 9 a.m. and I finish at three in the afternoon."
  • "My first class begins at nine in the morning, and my last class finishes at 3 p.m."
  • "I go to the gym to exercises for 1-2 hours every morning."
  • "I have to drive 45 minutes to school and another 45 minutes when I drive home."
  • "After class is finished, I take a little snack break and head to the library to study."
  • "For my science class, I have to do labs two times a week starting right after my last class."
You can see the expansion of ideas posted.

CONCLUSION SENTENCE

A conclusion sentence is a sentence that explains the result of the actions, and how it is fixed; or it can be used to express what was learned. In this case, what should a university student learn when he/she has all these time demands? A good answer would be learning to manage time. For example:
  • "As a result of all these time demands, I have learned to manage my time."
  • Since I've been busy, I've learned that keeping track and managing time is my most important tool."

FULL PARAGRAPH

Here's an example of a complete paragraph:
  • "Since I started university last month, I haven't spent time with family or friends. I start my day at 6:15 a.m..  I drive 45 minutes to school. I usually go to the gym to exercise for an hour every morning. My first class begins at nine in the morning, and my last class finishes at 3 p.m.. After class is finished, I take a little snack break and head to the library to study. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I do science labs starting right after my last class. After studying is finished and labs are finished, I have to drive another 45 minutes back home. I usually get home by 8:30 p.m.. Because my schedule is demanding, I learned to manage my time."
This paragraph has ten (10) sentences.

When writing a paragraph, make sure that it has a topic sentence, supporting sentences, and a conclusion sentence. Make sure that when writing details of a supporting sentence, the details make logical sense and/or they make chronological sense (The time makes sense).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collocations - Words that go together!

A problem that many ESL students face is collocations. What are collocations? Words that go together in a certain order. The native English speaker will feel like the expression sounds right it doesn't. What is an example of a collocation? Let's use 'Salt and Pepper' as an example. Source: www.tes.com - https://www.tes.com/lessons/GXxDALR09H8o1w/not-your-normal-salt-pepper-shakers [ NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE RAP GROUP 'Salt N' Pepa ']. Source: Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Necessary#/media/File:Salt-N-Pepa-Very_Necessary_(album_cover).jpg Why do we say 'Salt and Pepper' and not 'Pepper and Salt'? Structurally, the individual who says "Can you pass me the pepper and salt?" is not wrong. However native English speakers have grown accustomed to saying this in this order. In other words, the collocation is relative to the cultural preference in the order of the words. An example of the cultural preferen

Verb Tenses

1 - PRESENT SIMPLE When is it used? To talk about an action that is repeated or regular. The action can be a habit, hobby, a daily event, scheduled event, or anything that occurs often. The present simple can also be used to state facts (The sun rises in the East). Structure [Base verb (+ s/es in third person singular)] Examples:  I eat pizza. He doesn't eat pizza. Does she eat pizza? * NOTE - When using third person singular, the verb usually changes by adding an 's' [e.g. eat-eats]. However, if the verb ends with either -ch, -sh-, -x, or -s then the -es ending is added  [Example watch-watches; wash-washes; fix-fixes; pass-passes]. Pronouns Affirmative Negative Interrogative - Question Response to Question I eat   Do not/ don’t eat  Do I ...? Yes, you do / No, you don't  You  eat Do not/ don’t eat  Do you ... ? Yes, I do / No, I don't  He  eats Does not / doesn’t eat  Does he ...? Yes, he does / No,

Conjunctions II - For advanced students / law students

This is a continuation on the use of conjunctions. In law, conjunctions are VERY important. Conjunctions are used to establish certain elements of a crime, or they can also establish requirements by a law abiding citizen in order to come into compliance with the law. To recap let's briefly cover the use of conjunctions, particularly AND and OR. AND is used to combine ideas. Or is used for choices. The following is an excerpt from the 2013 Florida Statutes, Chapter 815, Computer-Related crimes --  2013 Florida Statutes, Chapter 815, Computer Related Crimes, Offenses Against Computer Users   815.06 - Offenses against computer users. (1)  Whoever willfully, knowingly, and without authorization: (a)  Accesses or causes to be accessed any computer, computer system, or computer network; (b)  Disrupts or denies or causes the denial of computer system services to an authorized user of such computer system services, which, in whole or part, is owned by, under contr